Tenuta il Pozzo appears for the first time in the historical notarial registers of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany on March 4, 1590, when the Florentine notary Bernardo Masini signed the sale of the “Podere con casa da Signore e Lavoratore e con terre lavororate, vitate, olivate, fruttate e boscate, situated in a place called “il Pozzo” in San Lazzaro in Valdelsa, Vicariato di Certaldo”.
Tenuta il Pozzo is located in the Località Pino a Certaldo (FI) along the ancient and medieval “Via Volterrana”, the important road that connected the city of Florence with the city of Volterra. This artery crossed the equally ancient and more important “Via Francigena”, which connected Rome with the rest of Europe. It is a magical place, close to equally magical places and villages such as Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, Monteriggioni, Volterra, Lucca and Pisa.
We are at the beginning of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany (from 1569 to 1859, the date of the Unification of Italy), shortly after the conquest of the Republic of Siena by the Medici dynasty, lords of the Republic of Florence, which at that time was ruled by Cosimo II de’ Medici. To better understand the historical context, we are at the height of the Renaissance, the period in which Cosimo II de’ Medici frequented and financed the father of modern world science: the Tuscan Galileo Galilei. In this period England reigned Elizabeth I and William Shakespeare was at the height of his inspiration.
In this period noble Florentine families bought land and built villas in the Florentine Valdelsa. This was the case for Tenuta il Pozzo, which was first purchased by the noble Galluzzi family and then donated to the Certosa del Galluzzo of Florence. The succession of management by various noble Florentine families allowed the Estate to hand down over the years the traditions of the place and the local people, strongly linked to the production of wine, oil and cereals.
The villa was built in those years next to the pre-existing medieval tower dating back to 1.100 which served as a lookout post to protect the nearby city of Semifonte, a city razed to the ground in 1.202 by the Republic of Florence as punishment for its expansionist aims.
To honour the fallen of the city of Semifonte, a small chapel with an octagonal plan was built on its ashes in 1597, the Chapel of San Michele Arcangelo (called the Dome of San Donnino), which reproduces exactly in a ratio of 1:8 Brunelleschi’s Dome of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence.
The real purpose of the construction of the Dome of San Donnino was to reaffirm and externalize the power of the Republic of Florence, a mark on those who had rebelled against its rule.
The same purpose also had the Chapel of San Francesco, owned by Villa il Pozzo, recently subject to an important conservative restoration. It seems that this Chapel belonged to one of the most important noble families of Florence: the Pitti.
Three hundred metres from Villa il Pozzo, along the typical and romantic Tuscan dirt road shaded by centuries-old cypress trees, is the beautiful Romanesque parish church of San Lazzaro in Lucardo (FI), built at the end of the 10th century, where religious services and fairytale weddings are still held today.
It is one of the most significant examples of the Romanesque style in Valdelsa. The parish church was renovated in 1589 on the occasion of the visit of Duke Alessandro de’ Medici, governor of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
Tenuta il Pozzo covers an area of 60 hectares in the heart of Chianti, in the Chianti Colli Fiorentini area and on the border with Chianti Classico.
Starting from the ancient Villa il Pozzo, which dominates the valley from its 250 meters of altitude, the Estate descends and develops southeast and southwest in soft hills up to about 150 meters of altitude.
Just 15 minutes by car from the futuristic and eco-sustainable Cantina dei Marchesi Antinori di San Casciano Val di Pesa (FI), adjacent to Villa il Pozzo and camouflaged thanks to the sea pines, which frame a spectacular view, and a roof covered with thick grass, is the Cantina di Villa il Pozzo.
The winery of Villa il Pozzo, built in the 70s, seems to have anticipated by forty years the idea of eco-sustainability
In 1966 Nello Gori di Certaldo, a wine merchant, bought Tenuta il Pozzo, cultivating, developing and skillfully handing down to the present day the traditions of oil and wine production, first together with his wife Tina Barbetti and then with the contribution of their children Paola, Giuliana and Alessandro (the “Senators”). […]